G. E. Woodward
2nd Lieutenant George Ernest Woodward was a junior officer in the 2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment and was killed in action on 29th September 1918 aged 28. He was the son of James and Maria Woodward and the husband of Florence (Florrie) all of whom lived in Thurlaston, a small village approx. six miles to the west of Leicester.
The memorial was originally sited inside the Baptist Chapel in Thurlaston and is thought to have been paid for by his wife - Florrie. Many years ago the memorial was moved outside the chapel and began to suffer damage caused by exposure to traffic pollution and the effects of the weather. In 2004, the memorial was donated to the Hinckley Museum; however, due to space limitations they were unable to display the memorial properly. In 2015, Hinckley Museum asked the Project to take the memorial into its care. This was something we were only too pleased to do and the memorial now forms part of our Resident Memorials collection.
A picture of 2nd Lt. Woodward's headstone in the Pigeon Ravine Cemetery can be found on this link.