St. Mark's Church, Belgrave, Leicester
Although the memorial from St. Marks no longer exists, it does carry a story which highlights the way in which memorials can be put "at risk", often quite innocently by their guardians.
St. Mark's possessed a wooden memorial board providing the names of local men, and men connected with that church, who served and died in World War One. Approximately ten years ago, the memorial was found to be suffering from woodworm and, sadly, the memorial was burned and destroyed.
Fortunately, before it was destroyed, a valuable friend of the Project (Michael Doyle) had photographed and recorded the memorial's details as part of a much wider work they were undertaking on Leicestershire's war memorials as a whole.
Details of the memorial, together with a photograph of the memorial itself, are set out on an information board as part of the display of the memorial from the Belgrave Liberal Club.
We are indebted to Michael Doyle for his assistance to us.
St. Marks' Church was a stopping point for those on the Jarrow March in 1936 where they received new boots. The church is no longer a consecrated place of worship and has most recently been used as a banqueting centre.