T. H. Downing & Co. Ltd.

Memorial: T. H. Downing & Co. Ltd.

This fine memorial with its 25 names and moving wording, came to us from the Cathedral in September 2021. The mystery is, and despite extensive research by Caroline Wessel MA, no one knows why it was there in the first place. We are honoured that the Cathedral thought of us as a safe haven. Unlike many memorials, the name of the original organisation is mentioned.

T. H. Downing Ltd was a large knitwear manufacturer in the City founded in the early 1800s. Its original name was Charles Lea & Co., and taken over by Thomas Downing in 1845.

Caroline Wessel’s research has shown that it was one of Leicester’s larger companies, with 400 employees and warehouses in London, Liverpool, Manchester, Cardiff and Birmingham. They also had a wide ranging network of representatives in the then colonies, Scandinavia, the Far and Middle East. Obviously a very enterprising company.

The company had a most handsome factory in Newarke Street but sadly in 1987 the building was demolished to make way for the new Magistrate’s Court.

The names on T. H. Downing & Co. Ltd....

No records of people have been added to this memorial. Yet. Can you help?

Register to assist our research.

Memorial location

All Saints Church, Highcross St, Leicester LE1 4PH