Gateway School 1933-38.
Son of Frank and Florence Lagor.
HMS Fidelity was built in 1920 as Le Rhin, an armed merchantman working for the French Colonial Intelligence Service. In 1940 she was taken to Gibraltar to join the Allies. Re-named the Fidelity, she was converted to a Special Service Vessel (SSV) disguised to appear to be a merchant ship but was armed. This involved an overhaul, and the arming of the ship with four 4-inch guns, four torpedo tubes, two Kingfisher seaplanes and a motor torpedo boat (MTB). Marine Lagor was on board the Fidelity which sailed from England on the 19th December 1942 in Convoy ONS-154. She had engine trouble and fell behind the convoy. The ship had a crew of 284 and also carried 51 Royal Marines. On the 30th December the Fidelity was torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U-435 north of the Azores. Only 10 survivors were picked up by the escort vessels, and among the missing was Marine Lagor. He is commemorated on the Plymouth Naval Memorial, Panel 83, Column 3.
- Plymouth Naval Memorial is one of three naval memorials in the UK. The others are at Chatham and Portsmouth
- All three memorials were designed by Sir Robert Lorimer with sculpture by Henry Poole. Each design is the same with an obelisk of Portland stone surmounted by a copper sphere
- The memorial commemorates more than 7,200 sailors of the First World War and nearly 16,000 of the Second World War
- The Second World War extension was designed by Sir Edward Maufe designed with additional sculpture is by Charles Wheeler and William McMillan
- It was unveiled by Prince George in July 1924. The extension was unveiled by HRH Princess Margaret on 20 May 1954