St Michael and All Angels Church which was designed by Everard & Pick was built in 1897. After an unsuccessful appeal for £500,000 to convert the building to a Centre for Performing Arts it was demolished in 1996. The church bells which were made by Taylors of Loughborough, makers of the Carillion bells, were sent to a church in Johannesburg.
Map showing Scott Street and where St Michael & All Angels Church used to stand.
Avenue Road Extension today
Out of the 57 names on the memorial over half lived in just three streets.
Knighton Fields Road West
No 6 John Phipps
No. 23 William Munton
No. 45 Francis Frost
No. 53 Charles & Percy Hubbard
No. 100 Arthur Goddard
Knighton Fields Road East
No. 303 Arthur & Lawrence Allen
No. 2 Ernest Wells
No. 15 George & William Munday
No. 148 Sidney Holmes
No. 34 John Valentine
Avenue Road Extension
No. 214 George & James Cave
No.246 Thomas Hinsley
No.252 Arthur, Harold & Oliver Bree
No. 253 James, John & Oliver Mason
No. 266 Edward Smith
No. 291 Clarence Bostock
No. 11 Albert & Thomas Lawrence
No. 68 Enoch Tunnicliffe
No. 155 Ernest Braddock
No.165 Harry Vickers
No. 195 Levitt & Richard Cooper
The names listed here by our researcher on this place are all from the World War One plaques.
All Saints Church, Highcross St, Leicester LE1 4PH