Tom born in 1891 was the second son of Josiah Hinsley and Mary Jane Muggleton who
married on Christmas day 1886. Josiah was originally from Staffordshire and living at No.
29 Queen Street and Mary was living at No. 33 Queen Street in central Leicester. The
couple married at St George Church which is opposite the Curve Theatre. In 1911, when the R Rowley & Co factory caught fire some burning material landed on the roof of the church, it destroyed the nave and damaged the chancel, it was rebuilt and is now used as a Serbian Orthodox Church.
Josiah and Mary would go on to have six children and the family lived at 246 Avenue Road Extension in Knighton. Their oldest child Charles born in 1886 was missing from the 1911 Census, while working as a Shoe Hand he joined the Leicestershire Regiment on 8/6/1906, so was no longer living at home.
Tom was from a family of Shoe makers, both of his parent’s as well as three of his siblings still living at home, Elizabeth born in 1889, Pollie born 1894 and Nellie born 1896 were Shoe Hands, his youngest sister, Linda born 1899 was still at school. Tom was the odd one out as he was working as a Fish Monger.
Tom joined the East Yorkshire Regiment known as the ‘Hull Palls’, which was a brigade of four battalions, the “East Yorks” was raised as part of Kitchener’s Army in 1914. Tom was in the 12th Battalion (3rd Hull). He was Killed in Action on 3/7/1917, and is commemorated on the Arras Memorial, Pas De Calais in France. The memorial lists 35,000 soldiers with no known gave.
In 1939 Tom’s parents were still living at 246 Avenue Road Extension with two of their daughters, Pollie and Nellie who were unmarried.